Summer isn’t over yet! If you’re still yearning to get more use out of that BBQ then give these mango chicken skewers a try! Fresh mango pairs extremely well with proteins like fish and poultry, allowing the sweet, sharp flavor of the fruit to coalesce with the meat.
The longer the chicken can marinate in the lime, chili powder, and garlic sauce, the more intense the flavor will be. It will also tenderize the chicken, so in this case, patience and a little pre-preparation are a virtue.
Once the chicken is fully marinated and chopped into cubes, the fun can begin: building the kebabs. Stack the chicken, mango, bell peppers and onions in any order you want – the number one rule in kebab building? There are no rules! Well, maybe one. If you’re using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water first to prevent burning. Then, place your brilliantly built mango chicken skewers on the grill and keep turning and brushing until they’re perfectly charred.
Mango Chicken Skewers
Total Time: 4 hrs. 23 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 8 min.
Yield: 4 servings, 2 skewers each
1 tsp. finely chopped lime peel
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 lb. raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tsp. raw honey
2 medium mangos, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 medium red onions (or sweet onion), cut into 1-inch cubes
1. Combine lime peel, lime juice, oil, garlic, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl; whisk to blend. Set aside.
2. Place chicken in glass dish. Pour half of marinade over the top; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to 4 hours.
3. Stir honey into remaining marinade. Set aside.
4. Place a piece of chicken, mango, bell pepper, and onion (if desired) onto a skewer. Repeat twice, so the skewer has three pieces of each ingredient. Repeat with seven remaining skewers. Discard marinade that contained chicken.
5. Brush skewers with reserved honey marinade mixture.
6. Grill or broil skewers for 6 to 8 minutes, turning every 2 minutes and brushing with honey marinade, or until mango is softened and chicken is no longer pink in the middle.