I’ve probably said it a hundred times but breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day! I could have it all day every day…..sometimes I do! It’s not abnormal to see me eating eggs and toast at 8:00 pm lol. Anyway, when I think of breakfast I think of pancakes, waffles or french toast. A good breakfast has to have one of those 3 things in my mind. But often those 3 things are filled with carbohydrates and calories and sugar! But they don’t have to be. You can make them healthy if you choose. Just because it’s breakfast, doesn’t mean it needs to be a bazillion calories!
So here’s a Healthy French Toast recipe that won’t add too many calories beyond the bread itself. And it tastes great! It’s my go-to french toast recipe and it’s super easy and quick to make!
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup (or raw honey), divided use
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tsp extra virgin organic coconut oil, or olive oil (to heat in the skillet/pan)
- 1 cup fresh fruit (strawberries, bananas, apples & cinnamon, kiwi, blueberries, peaches, mangos, etc)
- Combine eggs, almond milk, 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey) and cinnamon in a shallow pan; whisk to blend
- Soak each slice of bread in egg mixture for a few minutes, turning halfway
- Heat oil in medium skillet or pan, over medium heat
- Add bread; cook for 2-3 mins on each side, or until golden brown
- Top with fruit and remaining 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
Note: Sometimes I add more sugar-free syrup but be careful adding more maple syrup – it’s very high in calories!
Nutrition Information (per 1 slice; half the recipe):
Fat: 8 g
Carbohydrate: 27 g (sugar: 8 g)
Protein: 11 g