Have I mentioned I love coconut!!!
With the holidays right around the corner, cookies, cakes, and pies are popping up all over the place. No matter how hard you try to stay on a healthy path, it can be nearly impossible to avoid these sweet temptations. Luckily, you can avoid the high-calorie desserts, and still enjoy the season, by making your own healthy treats.
These coconut macaroons are bite-sized balls of goodness that will please both your sweet tooth and your waistline. Made with whey protein and shredded coconut, they’re naturally low in sugar. With a drizzle of chocolate on top, they’ll look beautiful on display at any gathering, and are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. No one has to know they’re swooning over a healthy dessert. Or you may just want to keep them all for yourself!
Total Time: 20 min.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cooking Time: 15 min.
Yield: 5 servings, 2 cookies each
– 2 large egg whites
– 2 Tbsp. vanilla whey protein powder
– ⅔ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
– 2 Tbsp. dark chocolate morsels (or chocolate chips)
1. Preheat oven to 325° F.
2. Place egg whites in a clean medium mixing bowl; beat until stiff peaks are formed.
3. Gently fold in whey protein and shredded coconut.
4. Drop by rounded Tbsp. onto prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until browned; cool.
6. Melt chocolate in a small microwaveble bowl for 30 seconds at 50% heat. Stir and repeat until nibs melt.
7. Drizzle melted chocolate over cooled macaroons.
Serving size: 2 cookies