Why not make your own super healthy energy bars? These are one of my favorites and they taste GREAT!!! In just a few minutes, you can create a healthy, customizable snack to help you eat right when you’re on the go. All you need are a few ingredients and a food processor (or a good blender).
These homemade energy bars are made with your choice of nuts and dried fruits, plus they have two scoops of Shakeology for a boost of superfoods and filling protein. They come in at under 150 calories a piece, and they can really fill you up! It’s a perfect snack to refuel after a workout, knock out a sugar craving, or to hold you over until dinner.
Dates (or prunes) bring natural sweetness to these bars, and they act as the binder. A full cup of nuts gives these energy bars a little crunch, and boosts the fiber, protein, and healthy fats. And the great thing is that you can use whatever variation of nuts you want – almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, hazelnuts, peanuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts, brazil nuts….! If you avoid nuts, you can substitute them with sunflower or hemp seeds.
This recipe is a template you can use to create countless flavors of energy bars. Try different flavors of Shakeology paired with any combination of fruits and nuts. Take the flavor to another level by adding natural extracts like vanilla, coconut, or caramel, or add ½ teaspoon of spices like cinnamon or nutmeg, or one my my favorites – coconut flakes.
Watch the video below to see how they’re made, and tell us your favorite flavor combinations in the comments!
- 1 cup whole pitted dates (or prunes)
- 1 cup dried fruit (like apricot, figs, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, coconut, mango, pineapple, papaya, kiwi, apple)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (or seeds) (like almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, pistachios, sesame seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, or sunflower seeds)
- 2 scoops Shakeology, any flavor
- Place dates, fruit, and nuts in a food processor. Pulse for 1 to 2 minutes; scrape sides of bowl.
- Add Shakeology; process for 2 to 3 minutes, or until mixture becomes tiny crumbs that can come together to form a loose ball.
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with cellophane. Press mixture into pan until flat. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut into 12 bars. Store in refrigerator.
- Tip: For additional flair add one or more of the following: ½ tsp. rum extract, ½ tsp. cinnamon, 1 Tbsp. raw honey, ½ tsp. vanilla extract, 1–2 oz dark chocolate chips, or 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger. Adding any of these items may change the nutritional information.