I love quinoa and I love Butternut Squash – so this sounds like heaven to me! Stop off at the grocery store on your way home, gather some ingredients, and surprise your loved one and prepare them a yummy dinner this week!
– 1 medium (about 2 pounds) butternut squash, cubed
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– Dash of Salt and Pepper
– 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed (certified gluten-free if necessary)
– 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or water)
– 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (approx. 1 3/4 cups), drained and rinsed
– 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– 2 limes, juiced
– Handful of chopped cilantro (approx. 1/4 cup)
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 2 medium avocados (each approx. 7 ounces or 200 grams), cubed
– Preheat oven to 350F.
– Toss cubed butternut squash in olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread into a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and soft.
– To make quinoa, bring quinoa and broth (or water) to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat to a simmer and cover partially with the lid. Let simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid in the pan is absorbed by the quinoa.
– To make the salad, combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl and toss until well mixed. Serve warm or chilled with chopped avocado on top!
Nutrition Information (Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 2/3 cup)
Total Fat: 9.9 g
Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Carbohydrate: 44 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 9.2 g