Why do you need a brilliant nutrition plan?
When you plan on losing weight, exercising is important but 70% of your results will come from your diet. All the exercise in the world won’t fix a bad diet. By diet I don’t mean these crazy low carb diets or meat only diets or whatever else people do to try to lose weight. I mean eating a healthy clean diet with lots of fruits and vegetables and portion control – because let’s be honest – lots of people eat healthy but most people just eat too much. I’m pretty sure that in my everyday diet, I could replace some of my meals by healthier options or stop eating some treats like ice cream or restrain myself from eating cookies. But, let’s be honest, no one can eat 100% clean all the time.
A diet plan is a very important part of your weight loss goal so let’s see how 21 Day Fix addresses it and how it can help you to organize your meals, while keeping you motivated.
The 21 Day Fix uses a color-coded container system. In other words, you have a set of containers with different sizes and colors. What does that mean?
Sizes will tell you how much you can eat (portion control), and colors tell you the type of food. So this way you don’t have to measure everything in order to prepare your meals, you just need to pick the type of food and fill each container to know the exact recommended amount for your target calories.
Your target calories (that I’ll explain next) will define the number of containers that you can have per day. It may sound confusing but in fact is very easy and straightforward once you understand this brilliant concept.
Color Coded Containers and Sizes
In your 21 Day Fix Package you’ll get:
- 1 Green Container (8 oz or 1 & 1/4 cups): For Vegetables
- 1 Purple Container (8 oz or 1 & 1/4 cups ): For Fruits
- 1 Red Container (6 oz or 3/4 cups): For Proteins
- 1 Yellow Container (5.3 oz or 1/2 cup): For Carbohydrates
- 1 Blue Container (2.7 oz or 1/4 cup): For Healthy Fats and Cheeses
- 2 Orange Containers (2 oz or 2 Tablespoons): Seeds and dressings
- 1 Shakeology Cup: For Mixing Drinks
In total you have 7 containers in 6 different colors and sizes. Each container must be filled with the respective type of food.
Next step, you need to calculate your daily caloric intake, which is the target calories mentioned before, to know how many containers you should use daily.
The formula to calculate your target calories:
- Your current weight (lbs) x 11 = Your baseline
- Your baseline + 400 (the Fix calorie burn) = Your caloric need
- Your caloric need – 750 (calorie deficit) = Your target calories.
Let’s see an example.
- Let’s say your current weight is 147 pounds
- 147 pounds x 11 = 1617 (your baseline)
- 1617 (my baseline) + 400 = 2017 -> your caloric need
- 2017 (my caloric need) – 750 = 1267 -> your target calories
- Your target calories is 1267
Before we continue, use the above formula to calculate your target calories.
Ok, now that we know our target let’s continue.
21 Day Fix defined 4 different target calories ranges, that will define your daily diet.
If your target calories is between:
- 1200 to 1499 Calories: 3 Green Containers, 2 Purples, 4 Reds, 2 Yellows, 1 Blue and 1 Orange
- 1500 to 1799 Calories: 4 Greens, 3 Purple Containers, 4 Reds, 3 Yellows, 1 Blue and 1 Orange
- 1800 to 2099 Calories: 5 Greens,3 Purples, 5 Red Containers, 4 Yellows, 1 Blue and 1 Orange
- 2100 to 2300 Calories: 6 Greens, 4 Purples, 6 Reds, 5 Yellow Containers,1 Blue and 1 Orange
Note: If you target calories is under 1200 then stick to the 1200 target, and if it’s more than 2300 go with the 2300 calories target.
This is the genius part of this nutritional plan, as you don’t have to weight what you are eating or write it down. You know how many containers of each type of food you can eat per day, so you just need to fill them and eat.
It’s up to you to organize the order of which containers you eat first. Think about what you like most to eat when you wake up, morning snack, lunch time, afternoon snack and dinner. However, it’s always recommended that you do 3 main meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner. In between meals it’s good to have snacks so you don’t get too hungry waiting for the next meal. Prepare 2 or 3 snacks a day between the main meals.
Drinking water is always good to keep you hydrated and a good way to reduce your appetite and give you a little more time to wait for the next meal or snack.
You can drink coffee and tea but just be careful what you add as it will contribute to your daily calories!
Tip: If you feel hungry, in any moment of the day, Autumn Calabrese, recommends you to take an extra green container (vegetables).
What exactly do I put in the containers?
This is all outlined in the eating plan guide you receive with the program, but here’s a cheat sheet/grocery list to give you an idea. There are also lots of recipes/meals provided that have the number or containers figured out for you.
For more information or to purchase the 21 Day Fix workout and eating plan, click here!
To order the Portion Control Eating System with containers (without the 21 Day Fix workout program), click here!